New Propeller

The existing propeller is a left handed 16x10. First, I needed to make it right handed. I considered several different types. A basic propeller similar to this would do ok but it presents a large drag while sailing and slows the boat down. Another alternative is a MaxProp. This appears to be about the best that money can buy. However the mechanical parts could be subject to fouling particularly in the millfoil of the lake and trash in the places I am likely to cruise. I decided instead on a Campbell Sailer. This presents reduced drag but works as effectively.

Here I have removed the cotter pin and backing nut and started backing the main nut off. There was a slight fishy aroma of lake slime.

I used a Walker prop puller. I had to tighten the nuts almost as tight as I could get them. Then it broke loose with a slight noise.


The whole process took maybe 20 minutes. The propeller had a nice ring to it which indicates it was quite sound.

A view of the pulled shaft and flange.

Here is the nut with the flax packing.

The shaft opening. The rest of the packing is in here.

The cutlass bearing.

I brought everything home and cleaned it up. I then assembled the old propeller, shaft and flange in the original configuration and measured it. The shaft from the face of the flange to the forward part of the hub is 52 1/2". The taper adds an additional 3 1/4". The bolt circle diameter is 3 1/4".

I then sent the order off to

I used a hacksaw blade to try to saw this in halves. Then it would more or less drop out. Not so simple. I had to pry it out. I pretty much tore it up before it came out. I then measured it as 1 1/2 inches in diameter by 4 inches long for a one inch shaft.

The housing for the cutlass bearing made it more complicated because of the lip in the back.

The old and the new side by side. I fitted the new to the shaft. I had to shape the shaft key to fit. I used the old nut and lock nut which threaded on perfectly.

The new propeller installed along with a complete bottom cleaning. The propeller is good to go.

I used one of those quick disconnect shaft couplings rather than the kind that needs to be heated up to be fitted to the shaft. It appears to run without much vibration.