A prototype for a birdsmouth mast. This is an experimental mast to be built in addition to the solid wood masts specified in the plans.
Today has been full of non-progress in mast construction. The planks I brought inside before proved to be warped beyond all belief. Also I found some checking of a disturbing nature. My original plan was to glue these two pieces together and make it round.
I tried to deal with the warpage by ripping the wood into 1/4 inch strips which I would then stack and glue. I got out the tablesaw and proceeded to rip. The warpage would push the wood away from the rip fence resulting in uneven thicknesses. The motor started smelling bad and smoking.
I constructed a prototype of the birdsmouth method shown above. The Birdsmouth is discussed in detail in Woodenboat magazine number 149 pp 31.But before I could proceed any further, the tablesaw motor completely burned up. I then hung it up for the day and pondered my next actions.
I could build the birdsmouth. This has these advantages.
The second course of action is simpler and closer to the plans. It consists of gluing together a pair of two by sixes, then cutting to size and rounding.
The third course of action is to order solid, clear spruce from an out-of-town supplier and have it shipped here. This gets rather expensive.
I decided to do the second option. Later I may build a birdsmouth mast to experiment with.